Thread: Coverage Areas
View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why do you guys that believe this, think that mechanics is what makes the officials able to do their jobs? I understand not ball watching
-
Don't get me wrong. I believe in the mechanics. They are essential in officiating the game. However they are just a guideline to be in the right area looking at the right things to put you in the best possible position to make the correct call. They don't mean that you can never, never come out of your primary to make a call. I do agree with some of what was said earliar that most calls made out of primary areas are more wrong then right. Especially with newer officials. I don't agree with the philosphy that you stay in your area and I will stay in mine. That is the type of personality or EGO if you will, that destroy's what the mechanics manual is trying to accomplish.

Quote:
I watch off the ball quite a bit, looking for those competitive matchups, etc. But there are a lot of times when 1) you don't have anything to watch in your area (if it's not that competitive of a game, or the players are playing nice), and 2) you really DO need to know what is going on globally (as the phrase was used earlier in the thread). So therefore, you are going to extend your view outside your primary area. It does say "primary", not "ONLY", or "RESTRICTED". Primary means first - first area of responsibility, not ONLY area of responsibility.
If you don't have anything to officiate in your primary then you are suppossed to exyend to your secondary. This is taught @ every college officiating camp that I've attended over the years. It's not a license to make arbitrary calls on top of your partners.

Quote:
I do not understand how a set of arbitrary mechanics can restrict what, by rule, we are allowed to do. I have used the word "arbitrary" multiple times in reference to these mechanics. Someone somewhere decided this is what they wanted us to do.
They aren't. They are just guidelines that for the most part work really well.

Quote:
The comment about the check gets me too...
This si why you want to make sure you officate with partners who look @ the game similar to the way you look @ it.
Quote:
I can't expect to change the system. I can't even expect to get some of the people who believe mechanics are the be-all and end-all of basketball to rethink that absolute belief that the mechanics they have been taught are always right. All I expect to do is bring to light that some people disagree with the belief that your primary area is to be your only area, and that no basketball official could possibly be wrong in their call in their primary area. "My call, right or wrong" is a bad attitude to have ANYWHERE on the court.
THe higher level you officiate the more you will find out that is not the case. Most of the time in pre games it will be discussed that if there is a call that everyone sees but me, "please come in and get it!" It will save the crew. These are few and far in between. But when it happens and it will ,most partners want partners who will be there to step up and make the tough call out of your primary.
Quote:
I would hope people would at least agree that getting the calls right SHOULD be the highest goal of any official.
LETS GET THE PLAY RIGHT!!!!