Thread: Coverage Areas
View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 08, 2006, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Actually you are missing my point entirely. I never said "NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, EVER, EVER, NEVER" make a call that is outside of your area. We all get screened and if you understand anything about 3 man mechanics, the Center official is very likely going to make a call from time to time outside of their coverage area

These are the situations I'm referring to. Sometimes Center has the best look @ plays through the paint.

Quote:
If the official cannot call the game, then they do not need to be there. Also if I go around calling all over the court, I will not be there. I would rather work again then totally throw out mechanics and start doing something that is not in my job. Now you can call that ego, I call that doing my job properly.
I don't think I ever said that it's OK for a official to call all over the floor. However are you saying that it not possible for you to miss a call or even make a bad call. Because if your human then I'm sure there are some calls/ no calls that you would like to have back. I'm not talking about if you can do your JOB or not. I referring to the few very help calls that is essential in calling the game. My reference to EGO's came from the earliar post's implying that you should not ever call out of your primary.

Quote:
I think you are focusing on this ego thing a little too much. Some of us just like to do the job that is asked of us. Ego is secondary. I do not care if someone calls something in my area as long as they are right. If they are totally wrong (which often times they are) then I am really going to be upset because I would hope I would not do that to you. Some of us believe in not ball watching, it has nothing to do with ego.
Peace
All in all I believe we are on the same page. Not sure I look @ this a job. It's more of a advocation. I like the big games, pressure, being apart of the game. The money is just the icing on the cake. To do what we do and to be any good @ it requires some qualities that aren't found in most people. Some of that is defined as a stronger EGO then others.

Last edited by Gimlet25id; Wed Nov 08, 2006 at 11:50pm.