Thread: eofficials.com
View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 06, 2006, 01:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
These things are just plain not true in Oregon. It may be that someone who wlrks only HS could get something from eofficials, but I can't see what it is that couldn't be gotten elsewhere. I didn't say that people with some college experience don't have anything to offer. I just don't see anything on that site that I can't get somewhere else. I don't see that it's worth the time and effort. And they don't even have a way for HS only officials to register, since there "Check affiliations" doesn' have a box for NFHS.
Considering that the NF does a very poor job of showing video tape, breaking down rules and showing very detailed philosophies on certain aspects of the game. There is a PDF file on how to call post play in great detail. The NF never addresses these kinds of things other than using language and not giving specific examples to what you can actually see or visualize. The only source that the NF uses that comes close is their S & I Rulebook and that only goes so far.

Quote:
Around here there are many very good HS only officials, who learn and change and improve every year. It's a competitive area, and not the refuge of the incapable. In my own situation, because of my son's health, and other commitments I've made to my church and my family, I will never be able to travel and "get away" to do the college thing. If I have people locally who can tell me the best interp to use for HS, and if I can continue to be the best among high school officials here, why listen to what college officials from Georgia have to say? I'll just have to check that against what my own assignor and coaches here want.
I think you missed my point. College officials in order to maintain their status have to attend clinics and require extensive training to keep their slots. That is not the case across the country. Part of the reason I know, is our state is considered on the cutting edge of training across the country because we are using tools that no other state is using. We are using videos, PowerPoint and sports specific materials that go a lot further than what the NF does.

Quote:
If it's good for you, fine. I'm not knocking the site. Just saying that I doubt it's going to do me any good.
I respect that you will not get much out of it, but that does not mean that HS officials would not get something out of it. Just because I get something out of it does not mean everyone here or across the country will get something out of it either. I just think you are taking such a narrow focus to training and education that applies to all levels.

Peace