View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 25, 2002, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

First off this situation points out how much we need to communicate with the scoretable. There was a timeout. The two officials should have talked during the timeout, and anticipated the play. The officials in a situation like this need to walk over to the timer and tell them in no plain words that the ball will start on a chop and tell them which offical to watch. Tell them to not watch the ball but watch one of us and tell them which one you want to watch. It may be trail with the ball at the throw in or it may be lead because she is the one nearer the table watching the long pass and who will have the primary decision of counting the basket or not.

(When I referee, if there is less than 3 seconds on the clock, I have shots from backcourt(as trail) and my partner has shots from front court as lead, and the three point arc.)

If you tell the timer to watch the trail, the scorekeeper should only watch trail, but taril may have to sprint a ways to get the chop if it is iffy on a long pass.

Personally I like lead taking the chop on this one. Trail can watch the play, make sure that the clock starts because she will have the widest view of the floor and the clock and not worrying about where the clock starts 60 ft down the floor.

Trail would still be assisting in chopping the time, ( and hopefully you discussed the fact that if it is tipped that the trail will chop with a big signal) if it is touched trail can signal and lead can help pick it up because the lead should be standing so the can see the pass, the ball, the catch and shot, ( and would see trail with a big chop)

Slider,

I am not sure of a couple of things...

I am not sure I agree with killing the ball in flight, and redoing it, I might work however,I think this provides a distinct advantage/disadvantage... The teams have just used a time-out and set up a play and now everyone knows who is going to do what.

If the clock did not start, you would not know it until well into the play, and we are not going to redo that one for sure.

I am not sure I agree with your statement that "the half ending buzzer ends the half even if it goes off prematurely". I believe the rule states that it is the horn that ends the game not the 0:00. (personally I think it is a stupid rule and ought to be changed so that if the clock reads 0:00 the game is over) However this is to ensure that no time remains on the clock. in a 2 second time frame much could happen, (and yes the horn went off when it was 0:00 in this case) what would have happened if it were the scorekeeper who actually hit the horn trying to tell the officials he/she messed up and started the clock early? In a game with a coach (not an intramural game) There are going to be screaming coaches. B's coach will be yelling that the clock started for sure...He could not have set up a play that was a dribble drive. It still was going to be a long pass, catch, turn shoot play, If B catches at 1.3 turns and shoots the ball is away.... We sell the heck out of it ( in this case A can blame A's timer) and settle the game.

anyway there's my quarter