View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 03, 2006, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

One thing which I know for sure about this play is that this CANNOT be a double technical foul. The play does not involve TWO opponents committing technical fouls against each other, per 4-19-8b. It involves THREE people and technical fouls by members of opposite teams, so it must be a FALSE double technical foul. (The second of which might actually be a false multiple technical foul by B6. See below.) Therefore, the fouls are going to be penalized in the order in which they occurred, and we are going to have to shoot all of the FTs.

Now I started this thread because I believe that there are two debatable aspects of this situation and I am honestly looking for feedback:
1). Is the first technical foul on the play which is charged to A1 flagrant because of 4-18-2. The rule only says "causes an opponent to retaliate." It does not specify which opponent or that it must be the one who was offended by the original player's action.
2). How many technicals should be charged to B6? Should B6 receive only one flagrant T for leaving the bench area and fighting (8.b.(2) in the penalty section after 10-6) or should there be two Ts charged? The two T option would be one for leaving the confines of the bench area (10-4-5) and one for the actual punch (10-3-9), both of which are flagrant. (Either way the head coach of Team B receives one indirect T and loses the coaching box.)

So we are going to DQ B6 and maybe A1 as well, and shoot either four or six FTs followed by awarding the ball to Team A at the division line opposite the table.

Now what are the opinions on the proper ruling?