Thread: fashion police?
View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 03, 2006, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
even in SoCAL it was a huge POI -- I mean how can these players here worry about uniforms they have more important things to worry about like whos house they will have their party at and if daddy will buy them that bmw they wanted.

On a serious note however I hate the fashion police idea but it was drilled to much to us that the FED wants it dealt with this is one thing my pride will have to be swallowed and I will have to be anal about it. I dont like it but it wasn't just mentioned in passing. After 10 slides and several top officials and administrators going over it and about 1 hour of brainwashing I have succumbed. In all games starting in December -- which is when our tourneys start I will be enforcing these rules -- the higher the level the more anal I will be.

My only fear with the way this went and will go is that there will be several officials -- more rather than fewer -- (the reason I feel this way is that I would rahther build relationships with these younger players who I as a ef would hope to see again at the higher levels and already have a repore as someone who will work with players and coaches than be an a$$ -- JMO)who will treat jimmy on the freshman squad with the same letter of the law attitude as Franky on the Varsity squad. I think the uniform rules should be a pyramid of severity of punishment. The lower levels in these cases should be allowed to almost get away with murder before assessing T's and ejections and whistles and arm movements and what not. However at the varsity level after game 1 there should be no need to offer more than 1 warning. These coaches should know and the kids what's acceptable or not and it should be smooth sailing. I guarantee if any official T's up a kid on a varsity squad for one of these infractions as long as that coach is working it will never happen again -- that I will guarantee. Unless Chuck or JR start coaching that is, then we could have many recurring incidents for rogue fishnets on the court but I hope I dont see that day anytime soon.
Interesting, when it comes to sportsmanship, most officials, including me, crack down on unsportsmanlike conduct more at the lower levels, and then talk to the kids a little more as they move up. It's all in how you approach it. I take the nip it in the bud stance and take care of business more in lower level games. I'm not saying you are wrong, but I haven't heard this stance from too many officials.