Thread: 3 man ?
View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 02, 2006, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
And I think this is why you don't see it a lot in the NBA. Not b/c the T is giving it up to the Lead, but b/c the Lead often has the play from the beginning anyway. But if the play starts at the top of the 3-point arc, I think the Lead is going to give the Trail first crack at that whistle. Obviously, I've never reffed at that level, but that's what I've been told by people who are at that level.

I can check with a buddy who's in the D-League to get his take, if you think it would be interesting.
That is sort of how it is pertaining to a player starting his drive from above the free throw line extended. The block/charge has to take place on the primary defender and either above the free throw line extended or just below it. Once it is at the rim it is the L's for the taking, but then again 9 times out of 10, if the play has made it to the basket it is going to be a secondary defender taking the hit. The reason for some of this philosophy is that the L is the closes one to the play and the appearance of the referee who is closer to the play taking that play to the table looks a lot better.

Just to give an example and I saw it last night in the cleveland game. If we have a rotation that is taking place and there is already some post play on the side the L is coming to and the C that is going to Trail blows a foul in the post and then there is an immediate secondary whistle by the L who is on his way over, then even though the C (going to T) blew first, they want the L taking this play to the table.