View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 07:49pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Sigh...

I'm not sure you read either Bob's or my play completely. I'm not asking you to correct something you didn't see. I'm asking if you would correct a partner's interpretation of a rule. If a partner tells you the ball hit the support, and they ruled it still in play, would you let it go? If a partner tells you they ruled a shot a 3-pointer because the shooter's foot wasn't completely within the line, but only on the line, would you just let it go? Remember, in both cases, there has been a TO already called for the crew to discuss this. I'm not asking you to stop play to find out what your partner called. either.
Why are we talking about a coach calling a timeout like it is the holy grail or something?
I would not waive off the basket because I have no support in the rule book to do so. My partner might feel like crap and I might feel like crap, but there isn't anything that should be done. Let the coach take his/her timeout and get the game going. Learn from this and don't let it happen again. I don't know about anybody else, but my first few years were not all peaches and cream. Getting bit is sometimes the best way to learn.
Whether a basket is a three pointer or not is something totally different. Once I'm made aware of the shooter's foot being on the line I will look to the scorer and say, "The basket is a two." After that, we put the ball in play and talk about the rule at the next opportunity. Delaying the game for this will only cause problems. If for some reason I'm not the R or my partner won't budge I will say, "For the record, I think we should do...." and we put the ball back into play. When the crap hits the fan, I went on record saying we should do the right thing and my partner(s) chose to do otherwise.

That dang live ball sure will make the coach start thinking about other things!