View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 01:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
But it wasn't a live ball, was it? I gave you all the references. Can you give me any references to say that a ball that the officials rule hits the support is still a live ball? And the rule we would use to waive/wave off (dis-allow) the basket would be the correctable error rule - erroneously counting a basket as a result of setting aside a rule.
It is only a dead ball if you call a violation. You do not call a violation, then how can you go back and say..."Oh by the way, that was supposed to be a dead ball but we did not know it until now." You know you cannot do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I know this isn't a real good reason, but sometimes the simplest explanation is the best way to go. I would rather explain to one coach the reason we're taking away their basket is because the ball hit the support. That would be easier than trying to explain to the other coach why we're allowing the basket, even though we know the ball did hit the support.
Well when you are the Referee on the game, you have a right to make that decision. If I am the Referee on the game, we are not going back in time to cancel a basket based on a violation that was not called. All you are going to do is open every non-called violation for possible debate if you follow through with your application of this rule.

Peace