View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 31, 2006, 11:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Go back and read Bob's play. There's no judgement involved. The T saw the ball hit the support.
Calling all violations are judgment calls. Part of that judgment is whether we see it or not. It is still a judgment call and part of it being a judgment call is recognizing what you saw, and then calling it. I have missed travel calls, carry calls and even out of bounds calls when I "thought" I saw something and I never blew the whistle. I do not understand why because he saw the ball hit the support, means there was no judgment involved? Why did he not call the violation if he clearly saw a violation committed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Now, in real life, if I'm the L I'm going to talk to my (obviously inexperienced) T and see if there's a chance judgement might be involved, which gives us a way out of this mess. Then, yes, we do not go back and change a possible judgement call.

But what if the T is absolutely certain the ball hit the support. No question about it. What rule do you use to tell the one coach, "Yep, the ball definitely hit the support, but we're going to count the basket."?
I would tell this young official, when you see a violation, you need to call a violation. You cannot take several minutes later and decide you now need to enforce a violation that was never called. I would tell them to chalk it up as a learning experience and next time make the call and not wait to make the call.

Peace