View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Suppose, immediately after the ball goes through the basket, the coach requests and is granted a TO.

The coach approaches the T official and gets the official to agree that the ball hit the wire, but the official thinks that the ball remains in play after doing so.

The coach approaches the L official and gets the L official to agree that the ball hitting the wire makes the ball dead, but the L official didn't see that happen.

The officials talk and T convinces L that the ball hit the wire; L convinces T that the ball should have been dead and the basket shouldn't have counted.

Now what?
Geeze Bob, can't you see we're busy talkin' about something else?

Anyway, if you're forcing us to stay on-topic, I would have to say it's correctable. In your scenario, the T saw the play, mis-applied a rule by seeing the ball hit the support and not ruling it dead. It wasn't an issue of "not seeing" the violation, or judgement as to whether the ball hit the support or not. Wipe off the basket by team A, do not charge a TO, and give the ball to B for a spot throw-in following the violation. I would then talk to my (obviously) inexperienced partner and tell them we need to not do that again.

(Used with permission.)