View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 30, 2006, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larks
NCAA-M guys - arm bar in the post. Clinic I was at yesterday said the arm bar in the low post was ok until the offensive player had the ball and then it's hands (arms) off. This to me seems to be a pretty substaintial change. I understand you cant touch a point guard out front (hand check). As a player, I wanted the defender back there to lean on and that arm bar wasnt a big deal at least for me. If the defender re-routes or displaces the offensive player, sure. Extends the arm....sure.

Pretty interested how this will be called this year. Are you gonna lay a 2nd 1st half or 4th 2nd half foul on a teams best big man over an arm bar?

I'll site the rule and page (it's in there) when I get to work where the books are.

Ok....discuss
Part of the clinic/meeting was to let the officials no that we must call this from the start of the season to the end. For those who work the tournament, failure to call this and the other POE's is supposed to result in no further advancement in the tournament. Coaches & AD's have been told this, and it should have been explained in scrimmages by the officials working them. Everyone is expecting the call, if you choose not to, that is your business. Just don't expect alot of support from your assignor when they see the video.

If you don't feel like making that call, I suggest talking to the defense as soon as the ball goes to the offense. The players are supposed to adjust to these changes and should already be getting the message.