View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Emerling
I disagree with this.

The defense cannot force the BR to remain at first by simply returning the ball to the circle. That would only be true if the BR advanced to first and stopped.

However, as is usually the case with this offensive tactic, the BR never stops. She trots to first and then, after touching the bag, she accelerates to 2nd in the hope to get a reaction from the pitcher - hoping the runner on 3rd may get an opportunity to score.

Since the BR never stopped she is under no obligation to stop. This would not be a "Look Back Rule" violation.

But now, as I have learned, since the runner at 3rd did stop, she is subject to a "Look Back Rule" violation if she does not immediately return to 3rd or advance towards home.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Correct. It seems there are some umpires who need to read my signature tag line.

Also, let's remember that the LBR is really a RCR (runner control rule) and is not intended to be a "gotcha" (usual caveat); and no good umpire would call a violation unless it violates the intent and spirit. Emerling's example of the pitcher walking toward the runner could very well be a play or fake play, so only a "gotcha" umpire would call the a LBR violation. Unless of course, the runner had violated the rule before the pitcher moved or after she stopped.