View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 26, 2006, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
Skip to ** at the bottom for the short version

Read on from here for the long version

this is almost as bad as a game I was coaching -- we get a steal near midcourt ball bounces in the front court our player in the back court reaches over and picks up ball -- (boys Freshmen) -- so we have a player in the backcour that hit the ball out of the offensive player the ball bounces in our frountcourt not and our player who is in the backcourt retrieves it.

Yes we have a fastbreak and the opposing coach and fans are yelling for backcourt -- I am happy we have a fastbreak (2on0) -- TWEET

wtf -- what just happened -- well the official decided to stop the game to explain to the coach and fans about the backcourt rule and the 3 points of contact -- he even went as far to fget on the ground and touch the backcourt with his hand and then the frouncourt so everyone knew the difference.

I was shocked and the only thing out of my mouth was "How could you stop the game and take away an uncontested layup attempt from us to Explain that rule (a little emphasis on explain)" -- this ref has about 4 years experience and is in my class in my association. His response "coach I have heard enough out of you so sit down for the rest of the half"

well needless to say I responded "you cannot tell me to sit down and you are yet to answer any of my 3 legitimate questions regarding calls you have made on one side of the floor and not the other" -- well after that comment I sat the rest of the game -- still cannot figure out why i got my T.

**part of game management is not stopping the game in instances like this. next time down the court if the assistant is still standing just mention to him (not the head coach) "coach are you aware that only the head coach can stand during the game" -- IMO if he was yelling instructions to the kids and coaching and sits right back down ignore it -- after all he is an assistant and sometimes you have to stand to get a players attention on the court and tell him what to do. Whacking him would lead to another technical for any decent head coach who would be extremly pi$$ed off especially since he was coaching and you just come in with a T.

Like others have said a T is a tool to aid -- used incorrectly its also a tool to get you out of the water into the fire.

***lol I guess there was not short version

Short version, how many chances are an assistant coach allowed?
I know T's are a tool. I also stated I did not issue one knowing that I could have. Ater it was done, The approach in which I use was it an ideal one NO!!. Was it effective VERY?