Thread: Dreaded BLARGE!
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Camron - the block/charge was what I had in mind when I made that statement; that's probably where 99% of these types of double-whistles will occur. I don't think it's an issue of one official overruling another as much as it is getting together to determine which one was right. There's already a similar precedence when you have one official signal a foul, and another signals a violation. You cetainly don't penalize both players in that double-whistle situation. Usually one official will come in and say, "The foul caused the player to travel, so I've got the foul!" It's picking one call and going with that. It just seems a little unusual that they picked only the block/charge double-whistle to go with the penalizing of both, especially since there is the issue of the defender either has the position, or they don't.
The difference is that the violation/foul double whistle are two differnet infractions, neither of which conflicts with the other. Determing which came first is all that must be determined and shouldn't be too hard to do.

The block/charge is two different interpretations of the same action. It is a judgement call. It's not matter of which came first but a determination of who is right. To determine a "right" call will usually require more information than is possible to have. More often than not, it would require that one official simply yield to the other.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Oct 24, 2006 at 04:33pm.