Thread: Dreaded BLARGE!
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Charge and Block, not possible...either the defender was in position or not....still a double foul is called since neither official has the authority to overrule the other. Both calls stand.

Player Control and Block, easy. B1 sticks out a knee clipping A1 while, at the very same time, A1 is hooking B1. There are two different contacts that are not mutually exclusive.
Camron - the block/charge was what I had in mind when I made that statement; that's probably where 99% of these types of double-whistles will occur. I don't think it's an issue of one official overruling another as much as it is getting together to determine which one was right. There's already a similar precedence when you have one official signal a foul, and another signals a violation. You cetainly don't penalize both players in that double-whistle situation. Usually one official will come in and say, "The foul caused the player to travel, so I've got the foul!" It's picking one call and going with that. It just seems a little unusual that they picked only the block/charge double-whistle to go with the penalizing of both, especially since there is the issue of the defender either has the position, or they don't.

(Used with permission.)