View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 24, 2006, 11:28am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
See what I mean? St. Louis fans are all smartazzes!

mick - what can you tell about Trammell? Since he's now part of Lou's staff with my Cubbies, I'm worried about the whole 119-loss season karma being transfered over, but I heard he's a good guy?
I've told this story before, M&M.
Before Trammell retired, he was snowmobiling in the U.P. and stopped at a hotel where I was staying. I saw him, Gibson, and Tommy Brookens (3B) eating dinner, but didn't want to bother them. [Nobody did, in fact]

At one point Trammell and I were alone in the lobby and I went over and introduced myself and I thanked him for doing what he did.

That evening my wife and I were shooting cribbage in the lobby and Gibson sat down and beat my wife by 6 points.

The next morning, I was in the lobby having some coffee, their crew was down there when Trammell came down the steps and said, "Good morning, Mick."
How he remembered my name is beyond me, but I am forever impressed.

The Tigers players indicated that he did not enforce discipline in the clubhouse, but I imagine he didn't think he should have to discipline players because he had self-discipline and figgered that his players had the same. He is loyal to his players and by golly knows the game. He will be the bench coach, I understand, and will help infielder. Trammell's bench coach was Gibson. Maybe he failed in Detroit because he was too nice.

I think he's very nice and the City of Detroit gave him a fine welcome on Sunday. ...Wrong manager at the wrong time.