Thread: Money issues
View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 23, 2006, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

This comes up quarterly, at least, in either or both the football and basketball forum. A complete answer can probably be gained by looking at past threads. With that in mind, I'll give you an idea of what Texas does (at least, for the most part):

We pay association dues which are roughly a 60/40 split between local association and state association. A lot of associations waive local association dues for first year officials. After that, dues are currently between $110 and $130 a year (both state and local; this is basketball and football) for renewal next year. That includes books. There are no assignment fees or anything else due. You just have to buy your gear and show up for games. Texas officials are paid by the school district, usually by way of a check in the mail (I have only been stiffed a couple of times in many hundreds of assignments) anywhere from a week to a month after the game. Milage is added by some, but not all districts.

Some folks have contracted with districts and private schools for sub varsity assignments, and will send officials out there for the same 'check in the mail' but as an assigner will also bill the school on either a flat rate or per game fee. Still, no one I've ever heard of around here charges an assignment fee, but apparantly, its common in other areas.