View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
deecee,
It would make a difference in an NCAA mens game.
There is team control when A1 fouled if he passed the ball. There is no team control if he released a try for goal and then foul on the way down.
In the first case, no FTs are awarded. In the second, Team B would be awarded the bonus FTs if this is the 7th team foul or more of the half because the NCAA mens rules do NOT include a foul by an airborne shooter in the definition of a player control foul.

For NFHS it is purely a definitional distinction. The first is a team control foul, while the second is a player control foul. No FTs are awarded in either case.
Good explanation Nevadaref...but, do you know of a reference that could be used for this specific sitch. Again, I realize that this is a TC foul...just looking for a specific reference for this specific situation. The case book play I quoted...does not have A1 as an airborne player....A1 has just ended a dribble and then passed and crashed...close enough, I suppose.

Also, after further review...I think our big discussion wasn't about A1 airborne shooter fouling...but, B1 fouling A1 who had changed his mind and passed, instead of shooting, when he saw that he was going to be fouled.

JRut and deecee...the question may be confusing or hard to understand...but, Tjones is correct...it is right out of the NFHS Part 1 Exam for 2006-07.
Richland, WA