View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 20, 2006, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
I have heard many different keys on when to rotate as lead. I was just curious to get input from others on what they have heard. Here are the ones I can remember.

1) "When the ball and more than 1 matchup is on the C's side, go"

2) "When the ball and a post player are on the C's side, go"

3) "When the ball penetrates past the foul line extended on the C's side." (I've heard this one a lot and it's way too late in my opinion)

and my favorite (and the one I use because of it's simplicity),

4) "go when the center needs your help."

What are some other keys that you have heard or that you use?
The only one I like is #3, and even then in your opinion you think that is too slow. I am still a fairly young official, but I have grown up in a system and been to some great camps ran by top officials and this is exactly when you want to rotate. I personally feel the other 3 are too late as do the other officials that have taught me. They want strong side officiating, iow they want 2 officials on the same side of the ball as much as possible. There is going to be 10x more activity near the ball than there will be far away from the ball. I am a very active lead and I have heard and employ being an accelerated lead, but I have yet to hear it as being a philosophy. I think of it as something you do to get to the opposite side faster.