View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 18, 2006, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust

But that is only penalized if discovered before the ball becomes live after the timeout. Once the ball is live, it's too late.?
That's not what 10-7 Penalty says. It says "Penalized when discovered."

Quote:
The rules specify a foul should be called but it wasn't...not quite the same as being called and improperly penalized. There are a lot of things that the rules say should be a technical foul but we don't always call them...can we change our mind during the next possession and go back and call a T on any of them?
I see your point, but my point is that we intended to call the rules infraction as evidenced by the warning. The only reason we didn't issue the T was because we didn't realize it was the second warning. We didn't consciously make a decision not to issue the T. We didn't issue it because the scorer didn't inform us that the warning was the second. Just like the 7th foul that we didn't shoot on.

And I have to keep going back to the definition of a correctable error, "Officials may correct an error if a rule is inadvertently set aside and results in: a) Failure to award a merited free throw." which provides guidance in this situation.

I see a difference in this situation and not calling a common foul, technical foul or any other rule violations, because we actually made the call (the warning) but applied the rule incorrectly and now have an opportunity to correct it.

Last edited by Kajun Ref N Texas; Wed Oct 18, 2006 at 05:12pm.