View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 12:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
That is exactly what I meant by that statement. Some men's officials look down at women's officials as second rate and being a women's official I take offense to that. I have worked very hard and attended numerous camps to climb up the college officiating ladder. The women's side can also be quite competitive to get hired, the camps I attend have anywhere from 150-175 officials in attendance. If you choose men’s or women’s basketball just be proud that you are a college basketball official, some officials never get work a varsity game let alone a NCAA D3, D2, or D1 game.
If you are that concerned with what people think about you, then that is a problem all by itself. You are never going to change how people view one side or the other. I worked a tournament that happened to be associated with a Women's D1 camp. I was working games for pay next to games that were apart of the camp. I heard officials get so defensive when you I told them I did not work Women's basketball. I heard comments like, "Women's basketball is the real basketball the way Naismith wanted the game to be called." Or comments like, "We use the NBA mechanics and you are still living in the past." No matter what you say officials are very territorial about which side they work. I will say this, most the Women's officials that I know as a whole tend to be less experienced then their Men's official’s counterparts. I know female officials that worked college within their 2 and 3 years of overall officiating that have D3 experience. I have been working 10 years and I have yet to get a shot at the D3 level along with many other officials I have worked with. And the JUCO conference I work, I am by far one of the least experienced officials around. You have to be confident in your own ability and your own choice. This is why this is completely a personal choice and you cannot officiate one side or the other based on what others are thinking.

Peace