Thread: at disposal?
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 17, 2006, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Unclear but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
"The throw-in count does not begin until B1 has the ball at his/her disposal and the official has begun the five-second count."

What determines when the official is to begin the 5-second count? Is this judgment, or is it defined elsewhere? Thanks for any clarification.
I think its not really clear by rule, but common sense tells me to wait until I as the official determine/think its at the disposal.

At a camp I attended last year they said to wait until the ball was OOB.
Then if team B hesitated (to set up a play etc.,) begin the count.

Common sense can cover the plays that coaches teach. We were taught to toss the ball to the official and then when he hands it back etc., it takes a few seconds off the clock.

Also this might cover the play where two players act like neither wants to take the ball out and thus the official waits etc.,

I know players today don't think too much, but there are some coaches and teams who still do ...

I can see the POV from the NFHS, but then I also know that there are a lot of officials who want it all in black and white.

Our state meeting this year it was interpreted that we could call TO until the count was started. HOwever, when it starts is still up to the official and his interpretation.

Thanks
David