View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 16, 2006, 02:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
Let's not kid ourselves, this was a premeditated dive and somersault and by rule should have drawn a flag.
What does "unopposed mean?" I am going to assume that would mean different things to different people. If I remember the correctly the play was close to the end zone and the return was not even 20 yards long (someone let me know what the correct yardage is). For you unopposed my have been obvious, but for the official on the ground without the benefit of replay and possibly the same "wide view" might have thought the player was not located.

I was watching a game about 3 or 4 years ago. Mississippi State was playing BYU in Provo, Utah on a Thursday. I do not remember the exact play or situation, but I believe MSU recovered a fumble and the player ran for about 70+ yards for a TD. The MSU player dove into the end zone and about 20 yards away from the end zone he was shedding a potential tackler from behind. He got free and dove when he thought he thought someone was behind him. Actually there was a player about 5 yards away when he dove and the player without hesitation was flagged by the officials. I personally did not like that call at the time but I realize that the official on the game had a different perspective.

So what you might consider "unopposed" might be different to another official. The officials must have felt he was "opposed" and did not throw the flag. I am not saying it is right, but they might have a different perspective than you or I have about that play.

Peace