View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 09, 2006, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcannizzo
ASA Rule 6.7 Catcher
A. The catcher must remain within the lines of the catcher's box until the pitch is released.
And POE #8 specifically allows for an exception to that rule, but you choose to ignore that.

Quote:
If the catcher's feet are up to the back edge of home plate, or anywhere outside the catcher's box, I will not let the pitcher pitch until the catcher moves back.

In my game, I had this sitch and asked the catcher to move back. In real time, I told the catcher that she could be called for CO. With the benefit of hindsight and this message board, the correct comment would be: Failure to do so will result in a NO PITCH.
Okay, now what are you going to do if the catcher doesn't move because her coach told her to move up as the POE allows? Cannot call an IP or rule a ball because you are the one holding up the pitcher. Are you prepared to eject the player and/or coach for non-compliance of an umpire's direction?

I can appreciate your ardor toward the game, but it's not your game or your field. The game belongs to the players. Only if you are truly fearful of an injury to the catcher should you even consider telling her to move back. But only if that fear is true and not just an excuse to get the catcher to do what you want.