View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You've got a pretty good memory for someone whose brain is fried.

It was the Yankees and the White Sox in the mid-80's. Carlton Fisk was the catcher and Dale Berra was one of the runners. Berra was more famous for being Yogi's kid and also for stuffing prodigious amounts of Peruvian Marching Powder up his nose rather than for being a good ballplayer.

The other similar kinda famous play was the one with Buck Martinez of the BlueJays, in about the same time frame iirc. He tagged a player out at home, breaking his leg and dislocating his ankle while doing so, then threw to third from the ground trying to get a runner sliding in. He overthrew, the runner headed home, and Martinez then took a return throw and tagged the runner out while laying on home plate. That was 2 tag outs at home by a catcher too on the same play, but with a couple of throws in between them. Btw, that injury basically ended Martinez' career iirc also.
I know my brain is fried, and I thought somehow Fisk was involved, but then I still thought there was one more recent than that, even though I knew Fisk hadn't played since the 80's.

Maybe I just need a retreat.

(Used with permission.)