The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 29 votes, 4.17 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Tori Hunter misplays a diving line drive and gives Kotsay an inside-the-park homer. 4-2 A's. They don't want to lose this one, too.
I'm only able to "watch" on CBS Sportsline - all they said was it was an inside-the-park HR to center. I'll be in the car shortly, so I can listen to the rest of the game.

It would be a shame for the Twins to come this far from where they were, only to fizzle in the first round.

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I'm only able to "watch" on CBS Sportsline - all they said was it was an inside-the-park HR to center. I'll be in the car shortly, so I can listen to the rest of the game.

It would be a shame for the Twins to come this far from where they were, only to fizzle in the first round.
Small tpyo
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
What you talkin' 'bout Willis??!

Awww...where'd you find that cute picture of DJ?

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Small tpyo
I think I just heard Chuck's head explode (again).

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tori Hunter misplays a diving line drive and gives Kotsay an inside-the-park homer. 4-2 A's. They don't want to lose this one, too.
The better team is winning. I know this is news to all the folks back East, but there is good baseball played out West. You just don't see it during the year because you have gone to bed.

I want to see the A's play their home games in the playoffs at 7PM PST. Who cares about the East Coast TV audience?

Let the people who work in CA have the opportunity to come out and support their team without having to take time off.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 03:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref

I want to see the A's play their home games in the playoffs at 7PM PST.
Me too. That way, we won't have to watch 'em.

The last time the A's won anything was 1989, and it took an earthquake and 2 truckloads of 'roids to win then. Hello there...Bash Bros.
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

They're doing it with pitching and defense this year.
That makes them dangerous for any opponent.
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 04:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Me too. That way, we won't have to watch 'em.
Yeah, you probably don't want to see it when the Yanks come out West for the ALCS and the A's spank 'em!
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Anybody see two Dodgers get thrown out at the plate on the same play? Unbelievable. When an outfielder hits the relay man and the relay man throws a guy out at the plate, who gets the assist? The outfielder, the relay man, or both? If two guys get put out with the same throw, are there 2 assists on the throw? Do both guys (outfielder and relay man) get 2 assists? Anybody have any idea on this?
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Anybody see two Dodgers get thrown out at the plate on the same play? Unbelievable. When an outfielder hits the relay man and the relay man throws a guy out at the plate, who gets the assist? The outfielder, the relay man, or both? If two guys get put out with the same throw, are there 2 assists on the throw? Do both guys (outfielder and relay man) get 2 assists? Anybody have any idea on this?
I believe something similar happened during a game a few seasons ago, and I think it involved the White Sox?

Now, my guess would be there would only be one assist on the initial out, and the second out would be scored as "2-unassisted".

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 09:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
I believe something similar happened during a game a few seasons ago, and I think it involved the White Sox?
You've got a pretty good memory for someone whose brain is fried.

It was the Yankees and the White Sox in the mid-80's. Carlton Fisk was the catcher and Dale Berra was one of the runners. Berra was more famous for being Yogi's kid and also for stuffing prodigious amounts of Peruvian Marching Powder up his nose rather than for being a good ballplayer.

The other similar kinda famous play was the one with Buck Martinez of the BlueJays, in about the same time frame iirc. He tagged a player out at home, breaking his leg and dislocating his ankle while doing so, then threw to third from the ground trying to get a runner sliding in. He overthrew, the runner headed home, and Martinez then took a return throw and tagged the runner out while laying on home plate. That was 2 tag outs at home by a catcher too on the same play, but with a couple of throws in between them. Btw, that injury basically ended Martinez' career iirc also.
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You've got a pretty good memory for someone whose brain is fried.

It was the Yankees and the White Sox in the mid-80's. Carlton Fisk was the catcher and Dale Berra was one of the runners. Berra was more famous for being Yogi's kid and also for stuffing prodigious amounts of Peruvian Marching Powder up his nose rather than for being a good ballplayer.

The other similar kinda famous play was the one with Buck Martinez of the BlueJays, in about the same time frame iirc. He tagged a player out at home, breaking his leg and dislocating his ankle while doing so, then threw to third from the ground trying to get a runner sliding in. He overthrew, the runner headed home, and Martinez then took a return throw and tagged the runner out while laying on home plate. That was 2 tag outs at home by a catcher too on the same play, but with a couple of throws in between them. Btw, that injury basically ended Martinez' career iirc also.
I know my brain is fried, and I thought somehow Fisk was involved, but then I still thought there was one more recent than that, even though I knew Fisk hadn't played since the 80's.

Maybe I just need a retreat.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 10:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Maybe I just need a retreat.
I don't think that you could pass the physical. I hear you gotta be a fundy old lady in pedal pushers.

Then again....maybe you could pass.
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't think that you could pass the physical. I hear you gotta be a fundy old lady in pedal pushers.

Then again....maybe you could pass.
Watch it - I'm gonna stick these clam-diggers right up your...

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Oct 05, 2006, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Anybody see two Dodgers get thrown out at the plate on the same play? Unbelievable.
This must have been an example of Nevada's great west coast baseball we don't get to see here on the east coast.

btw, the runner who's backside Dale Berra ran up was Bobby Meachum. Here's a fun article...

http://www.nyyfans.com/article/8497
Closed Thread