View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 04, 2006, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisref2
Oh, you hit a nerve!!!! Why the heck do so many people have sooooo much problem with this one! Over the last couple of years, I've heard about white hats blowing this enforcement so many times that I'm starting to think it's all part of a big urban legend - but I personally know people who have messed this up. (of course, that's the first sign of an urban legend, but I digress!)

One WH said A had already gained 4 yards, then got five more for the penalty and he wasn't going to give them another down, too - that was too much benefit for a minor foul. Can you believe that logic? Worse, he stuck with his decision after his crew pointed out that it was wrong.

Thank you - the soap box is now vacated..................
I might be totally wrong, but I think this is why this is often viewed wrong--

Defensive facemasks often take place while the tackle is being made. Therefore, I think many people (incorrectly) think this is an 'after the play' (more precise--deadball) foul.

Also, I think many people have the idea that it feels wrong to give a team a gain, then 'give' them a 5 yard penalty (to their benefit), then, after all that, give them the down again. I know I am being a bit dramatic about it, but I'm just trying to think how some people might think about this play.

Of course, it is a 'no-brainer' that the down should be replayed. Another way to think about it...4th and very long. A1 is "pulled down" by the face mask (and face mask only) 18 yards short of the line to gain. If they don't replay the down, A would have to "give the ball up" on downs, which would be particuarly unfair, since B only made the stop by 'cheating.'

But, without a doubt, you are correct wisref2. Just trying to see another point of view (of course I could be totally wrong about it!).