View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 03, 2006, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I don't have my rule books in front of me, but I'm wondering if you might be confusing issues.

First, I think we all agree the controlled toss is the start of a dribble. In the case of an interrupted dribble, the player can't go get it, pick it up with both hands, and start another dribble. I believe that's what 7.1.1 Sit D(c) is addressing. However, if the player goes to the ball that's bounding away, and starts bouncing it without catching it first, that would be legal because it would be a continuation of the same dribble. Are you saying because the ball didn't bounce off the player's foot, or something similar, that is what makes your play not an interrupted dribble? If so, what part of the definition of interrupted dribble applies in your case, and why would it not be considered an interrupted dribble?
To support M&M,

Here is the interrupted dribble rule:

4-15-5 "An interrupted dribble occurs when the ball is loose after deflecting off the dribbler or after it momentarily gets away from the dribbler. There is no player control during an interrupted dribble."

It appears to me, the Fed is considering Case 7.1.1D to be an interrupted dribble which makes the case book correct as written. The ball has momentarily gotten away from the dribbler. If not, he would still be holding the ball when he goes OB.

Last edited by Kajun Ref N Texas; Tue Oct 03, 2006 at 01:34pm.