View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 27, 2006, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Technical foul. A similar play appeared on ESPN a few years ago.
Actually, I don't think that was the play - the one on ESPN was the player leaving the court through the door, coming back in the other door, taking the pass in the corner and hiting the open shot. In other words, in the ESPN play the player leaves the court for an unauthorized reason, which is now a technical foul in NFHS. In my play, the player is supposed to be OOB, to make the throw-in, and also has the endline to run. So what would make the player's actions T-worthy, considering they're allowed to be OOB?

Ok, here's the reason for my original question - I think Jimgolf has a good point in considering a T for going into the stands to make the throw-in, for the same reason I believe my play could be considered a T as well. Here's my (twisted?) logic: we all agree the playing court is considered "inside the lines", because during normal play, all the players should be in-bounds. So how come we don't issue a T every time a player has a throw-in from OOB? Because they are now "authorized" to be OOB, and the playing court has expanded to include the area that player is allowed to be in, whether it's the 3-foot wide space for the spot throw-in, or the entire endline. If they step outside that playing area, it's a violation. If they go outside that area on purpose, with the intent to gain an unfair advantage and possibly deceive, than it's a T. In euby's play, the player didn't trip over the stands (violation), they purposely went into the stands to gain an unfair advantage. Since the coach admitted teaching that, I would think at least one T (and more than likely two) is in order.

(Used with permission.)