View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/st...rnak-boys.html

"As two Winnipeg sisters find out Tuesday if they've made the boys' hockey team at their high school, their recent human-rights victory has spurred boys to try out for girls' sports teams...

"He described one call "from one young fellow who [was] just very honest, and he said: 'You know what? We're not good enough to make the varsity basketball team. But the girls' basketball … have a smaller ball and we think we could make that team.'

"He said, 'I don't know if we would start but we just love basketball and want to play and we think we could make the girls' team,' " Glimcher said."
If there's an equivalent program for boys, they can't try out. At least, not in the US. Too bad if they can't compete. I'm not saying that's my opinion. That's the law. If there were a girls' hockey program, the girls couldn't try out for the boys' team. It would be interesting to see if the boys could convince someone to let them onto a girls' volleyball team, where the school did not have a similar program for boys. I expect in that case, they might have some legal grounds.