View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 26, 2006, 01:00pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGCougar
I probably didn't do a good job of asking the questions or setting up the sitch - my bad.

Does the concept of LGP apply here? Cutter is coming across the lane and I want to get in their path, but not necessarily face guarding the cutter. It is possible to even have part of your back to the cutter if you've beaten them to a spot and continue running in front. Are you saying that contact here would then be a foul on the cutter? I've never really seen that called unless it's a blatant two-handed shove.

I'm not advocating deliberate contact defending the cut any more than I'd tell a cutter to knock down a player standing still in their path. But when two players are running toward the ball, one with the intention of catching it and the other with the intention of denying it, some contact will be inevitable. What I'm trying to get a grasp of is this: how can the defender deny a cutter within the rules, forcing the cutter to take an alternate path? And.. In doing so, is any contact at all allowed or overlooked?

Thanks for being patient.
Coach,
If you make use of legal screening techniques, you'll be good.
mick