Thread: Wing Mechanics
View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 25, 2006, 01:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack
I can do that. I'm just wondering whose spot trumps whose, because I've had another wing get really angry at me for a spot that I had a better view of because the runner fell with his back to him.
You should mirror each other to some extent. It is not about "trumping" anyone. You are supposed to work together and get the best spot. When you do not have it, your fellow wing might have it. Who cares if someone gets upset with you? An official that gets mad about this is either not a very knowledgeable official or not a very good official. Consider the source sometimes. Most experienced officials have no problem with giving up a spot. It is apart of the game.

Quote:
Right. So if you're 53 1/3 yards away and the runner goes into the corner, and the wing on that side signals, no need to go up yourself.
You read what I said. You only go up when you clearly see the ball cross the goal line and you know the runner was not out of bounds.

Quote:
I understand on a play that takes a while to develop. In particular here, I'm talking about the quick pass, the outlet or the flanker screen. It's rare, even if you are holding the line and haven't broken downfield, that the pass will be directly on your line of sight (since that's the line of scrimmage), but if it's a quick pass to my side, I've got to think I've usually got a better angle on it than the R.
As I said before, it depends. If the QB is running around trying to avoid tacklers, not sure why you think only the wings can tell if a pass is forward. I know at this stage of your career you might think only the wings might see this, but the wings are supposed to have the receivers and their routes. If you are watching the receiver and their routes, how are you watching the QB? This is why I said it depends on the situation. This would be like saying "only the umpire can call holding." That would be just as silly to say the wings are only responsible for forward and backward passes.

Quote:
Okay, so if jersey gripping is going on and it doesn't really have an impact on the play, it's a talk-to?

Thanks.
It might be a "say nothing." Many times I say nothing to blockers unless the block is on the edges or out in the open. All I am saying is you could call holding on just about every single play. You have to decide when a hold gives a clear advantage and when to just pass. Not all holding needs to be called. If a player is being held and the team loses 10 yards, I do not know if there is much of an advantage.

Peace