View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Who am I?

I am the head coach of the visiting team. I did not have an administrator in attendance to help me with the decision. This is a FED sactioned game. Our conference plays both Fall and Spring baseball. The conference champion is determined by a combination of Fall and Spring conference records. This was a conference game.

I chose to have the volunteer help with the game. The second batter in the bottom of the first inning, attempted to steal second base. He was out by a considerable margin. Volunteer called him safe. I didn't say a word to him, I just questioned the coach about what he said before the game about how fair this guy would be. As it turned out, the other umpire arrived in the second inning and replaced the volunteer.

I may have mispoken in my original post. The lone umpire was working his first ever varsity game. I don't know for sure what other levels he had worked. I do know that when he was working the bases from the C position in the JV game, he had a close play at third on a steal attempt. He stood there with his hands in his pockets and waited for his partner to make the call.

I think if I had the same predicament in the future, I would load up the bus, take the hour and fifteen minute drive home and reschedule the game.

Thanks for all of the input.