View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 19, 2006, 08:11am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
It's not a "correctable error" in NFHS basketball jargon, but it is an obvious timing mistake which can be fixed by the referee with definite knowledge.
The only way that the R can fix this error is if an official was actually looking at the game clock when B2 first touched the ball. I can't see how or why any floor official would start an official's count when the ball left the thrower's hands.

What confuses me is "clock chopped with 1.3 seconds". Officials "chop" clocks: timers start the clock on the "chop". It doesn't really matter though if the clock was started early on the throw-in. Moot point

If I'm reading this correctly, B1 first touched the ball with 1.3 seconds on the clock and hopefully B1 had possession when the horn went. If so, and an official was looking at the game clock and saw 1.3 on it at the first touching, then the R could give team B the ball at the closest spot and put 2 seconds back on the clock.

The problem is whatthehell do you do if B1 touched the ball with 1.3 on the clock and the ball was loose when the horn went off? An AP at the closest spot sounds right, but I can't see where that ruling is definitively correct under R4-36 or R6-4 either. This might be another one that ain't definitively covered. Nowayinhell am I gonna give the ball back to A for a do-over throw-in though.

Of course, if the R doesn't have definite knowledge, it's game over.

Interesting situation.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Sep 19, 2006 at 08:14am.