Thread: LL Bat Question
View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 16, 2006, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

A scenario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
Why would I, a LL umpire, CARE about player eligibility rules? I sure as hell wouldn't be trying to quote them to anyone. The proper answer is "you need to discuss with your district administrator."

We all have jobs. When umpiring, my job is "umpire."
In a regular season Minor League game:

Coach Tim: I'm starting Johnny at Pitcher.
Coach Alan: He's a 12 year old, isn't he?
Coach Tim: Yes. So?
Coach Alan: Chris, you know a 12-year old can't pitch in a Minor League game.
Umpire Chris: Well, player eligibility isn't my problem. Let's find a district adminstrator or something.
Coach Tim: There aren't any around. I'm pitching Johnny.
Coach Alan: Well, I'm playing the game under protest.

You've got a protested game, and the protest will be upheld, because Chris couldn't be bothered to even know a black-letter rule in the book. (Technically, the ineligible pitcher will cause the game to be forfeited. Of course, LL umpires are charged with avoiding forfeiture situations.)

Something like this happened in our district at the Juniors level a few years back. There was real confusion about the rules, so the umpire really couldn't have known them, and it became a real train wreck. Given the circumstances, I couldn't fault the umpire, but I was glad that he was willing to learn the rules to prevent a recurrance.

Rich, I have a lot of respect for you postings here. Heck, I have some respect for Tim C's posts. In any case, I won't tell you how to work your games.

Last edited by LilLeaguer; Sat Sep 16, 2006 at 10:13pm.