Thread: "real umpires"
View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 14, 2006, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Must be level of play

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
And what about those umpires who are trained well, and work Varsity HS baseball, and also choose to work any level of baseball presented to them, just because it's baseball?

I began working Varsity in my second season, and that's all I worked as far as HS went. But I also would work any lower youth ball level, adult semi-pro leagues, collegiate wood bat leagues, and any other games that I was assigned, including Little League (which pays $40 for Majors here, BTW) because I love baseball, and I don't care what level game it is.

I still can't figure out why the line seems to be drawn at Varsity HS to be a real umpire. HS ball is not at all difficult to umpire. I'm sorry, it just isn't! I would argue more that none of us are real umpires unless we are working MLB. Those guys don't consider us real umpires, any more than we consider Little League umpires to be real umpires.

So, unless I see you on Sports Center every night, don't consider yourself a real umpire. I worked Varsity steadily from 1987 through 2005, and I still am not a real umpire. Damn.
Maybe its easy to umpire Hs games in your area, but when I was in TX and where I am now there is a huge difference in "small ball" and HS ball.

There is a huge difference in what is expected of an umpire even from JV Varsity to HS varsity.

We have coaches who know real umpires and not real umpires. The ones that are not for real get eat for lunch.

Its JMO of course, but if I find an umpire taking it easy, then he's coasting and not going to umpire any big games in our association.

There's simply too much at stake especially once district season starts. One game can make a difference in whether a team makes the playoffs or not and umpires can make a difference in that game.

Thansk
David