View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 08, 2006, 04:12am
Official Forum Member

I have not seen where you said what rule set you were under, but as far as I know all softball codes agree with the following responses:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyJim
F3 was behind the baseline, but definitely had no play on the ball.
If the ball has not passed a fielder (other than the pitcher) it is dead. It does not matter if F3 did or did not have a play on the ball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyJim
And here's another kicker that was brought to my attention in discussing with our UIC, who wasn't there at the time. The batter/runner crossed 1B while Mark was still on the ground in foul territory beside 1B. Wouldn't that make the batter/runner out for passing R1?
1. The ball was dead when it hit "Mark", so what happen subsequently does not matter.
2. If there were a play where B1 was on 1B and was remaining in contact with 1B and B/R overran 1B (not advancing to 2B, but just overrunning), this would not be passing the runner. In the original play above, if F3 had been in front 1B it would have been a live ball. If everything else was the same, with Mark falling into foul territory, I do not believe I would have judged that Mark was retreating to home plate and thus I would not have ruled B/R had passed him.

(Note: I realize "retreating to home" might bring up a whole other discussion. Before it starts, and if it does, remember that in softball, it is a dead ball and an out if a B/R retreats to home to avoid a tag.