Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Re: I don't believe this

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
SF writes:
" hope all understand your post, Garth, for what it truly is............"

So where is the insult? Answer: In your mind.

Where is the personal attack? Answer: There was none, just a truthful statement:I have learned one thing tonight: If it is at all possible for a post to be taken in the wrong way, you will do it.
[Edited by GarthB on Jan 15th, 2002 at 01:04 AM]
Garth:

I need to add a little history to your "interaction" with Freix.

As you know, I have been gathering official interpretations for the BRD from the PBUC, specifically Mike Fitzpatrick, since 1989. He and I have a good and close working relationship for about one month out of the year. I ask questions, he provides answers.

On eTeamz, while explaining how PBUC rulings work, I said:

I think that Fitzpatrick will agree with Cool Hand Hensley and Free the IX because most of his rulings are "cosmetic."

The DH doesn't bat at least once. Appealed. Kick the sub out. (Everybody knows HE knows the rule.)

Batter-runner not in the lane gets hit by a ball from anywhere. Call him out. (He's supposed to be in the lane.)

Coach tries to help a guy return to the plate during a live ball. Call him out. (That's coach assistance.)

Coach tries to help a guy return to touch a base during a dead ball. Call him out. (Everybody can SEE that's coach assistance.)

I am not denigrating Fitzpatrick's rulings. [current emphasis] But he's training 227 umpires. He needs rulings that "look reasonable" because those are easy to sell. Remember, that's why major league umpires agreed to require a tag (rather than an appeal) for a runner returning to a missed base during unrelaxed action. The fans can SEE a tag; they can't HEAR the appeal.

Based on my long relationship with Fitz, I predicted a ruling which Freix would agree with!

His response, coming from a man who at the time was writing articles for me, is little short of amazing not to say audacious:

Your words not only denigrate Fitzpatrick rulings, but also Fitzpatrick. You imply he cares not about the game; only its "appearance" to the fans. Even not knowing him, I will provide him more initial respect than that merely due to his position. Perhaps you know better through your experience with him --- at least that's what you imply with your post. I hope you are wrong.

I cannot for the life of me understand why Freix felt the need to toady up to Osborne or Fitzpatrick. Talk about sycophancy.

BTW: Let me iterate: I am not a moderator of this Board; that's left up to managment. I'm just a stranger in a strange land. Listening to the "subject" in question, even Kafka would blanch and Bill Kelm would positively cringe.