Thread: backcourt
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 16, 2002, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

I have been asked to give a presentation at our association meeting this evening on back court violations. I know we have covered this before but can we go over it 1 more time please? I understand that there are 4 things that have to occur for a backcourt violation. 1. Team A must have control. 2. The ball must have attained front court status.
3. A player from team A must be the last player to touch the ball before it enters the backcourt 4. A player from team A must be the first player to touch the ball after it enters the backcourt.

Correct me now if I'm wrong. A ball that is deflected or batted away from a team A player by B does not relinquish team A's control? Here is the scenario: Player A1 in front court passes to A2. B1 deflects the ball. The ball then touches A1 again(in front court) and goes into backcourt. A2 retrieves the ball in backcourt. Violation by A? If, indeed team A does not relinquish team control on a ball deflected by B, could A have called a timeout to avoid the backcourt violation?

Please give NF rule or casebook references. Thanks for your help.