Thread: Davis system
View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 01, 2006, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.T.Hill
I have been using the Davis system (probably not perfectly) for almost a calendar year. Although I struggle with the top of my zone for some reason, it has cured most of my inconsistencies with the low strike. Recently, I worked with a very experienced umpire. When I asked him for a critique, his first comment was about how solid I was and that I never flinched a bit. He then followed that up with his concern that, since my arms were locked in, that I would sooner or later suffer a broken forearm. Since I have started using the Davis system, I have not been hit on the arm (although I expect to). I have only been nicked on the hand a couple of times. What are the responses of those who promote the Davis system to the concern of the exposed forearm.
Secondly, regarding my issues with the top of the zone. I have been told by two very good umpires to concentrate on getting my eyes down to the top of the zone. Using the Davis system, I really can't get there. Any suggestions, other than using the catcher's head to gauge the top of the zone, etc.
Thanks.
I've used JD for a long time. Be sure to keep the elbows tucked in exposing only the "meaty" part of your arm. If you do get hit it will sting and bruise but you won't break any bones. Be sure your fingers are to the side of your knees just leaving your thumbs on your knees. My leg guards allow me to put my thumbs behind them thus protecting them. Never took a hit of any consequence in the hands.

Concerning the high strike narrow your stance for tall batters and widen your stance for short batters. I find that I can get my eyes level to the top of the strike zone. At any rate this works for me.