View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 31, 2006, 05:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
The guidelines are a modified version of the NBA guidelines for handchecking when above the free throw line extended. I love them and use them in my games. It causes for a more free flowing game and more scoring which is what everyone wants to see.
Personally, I like to see tough defense. I'm not a fan of the NBA's philosophy that more scoring puts butts in the seats and makes the league profits rise. Thus they wrote their rules to favor the offense. Good for them, bad for basketball. In the NBA a team is better off to be down by a point, but have the ball with under 10 seconds remaining. In HS and college I believe that most teams would take the lead.

The NFHS has a couple of very nice thoughts in the Intent and Purpose of the Rules. They speak of creating a balance of play and equal opportunity for the offense and defense. In the NBA this no longer exists. Instead of a game in which scoring a basket is an accomplishment and something of value, the NBA has created one in which getting two points doesn't really mean much.

So what is with using these NBA guidelines in NFHS and NCAA games? Who are you to dictate the style of play by the teams and decide what "everyone" wants to see? If you want to officiate that way get into the D-League or the USBL and quit working the other levels.