View Single Post
Old Wed Aug 30, 2006, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRef
Don Rutledge is not the WNBA supervisor, it is Dee Kantner.
Are you sure? I thought Dee was originally, but didn't Don take over for her? It mentions Don as the supervisor in the article on the website - under "Articles of Interest", it's "Rutledge's Rules".
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRef
In women's NCAA we don't give you a warning. The play you decribed is a no call, what I am saying is when a defender put two hands on the dribbler by their own accord.
I'm aware of that as well. But even NCAA-W have backed off a little from their previous handchecking guidelines because play was being stopped without any obvious advantage being gained. They have put a little judgement back into the call.

The article does kind of contradict itself a little. On one line, it says officials "have the misconception that "I'll call it if it impedes the ball handler". But this is not the direction referees are encouraged to follow." Then it says, "Incidental contact with the hand(s) that does not impede the progress of the ball handler is NOT illegal."

I still think NFHS wants the judgement in there. Maybe we as officials aren't doing a good enough job in calling when it should be called. But I don't think they're ready to put in specific guidelines yet.

(Used with permission.)