View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 27, 2006, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Time Ump
Mr. Agee, whether you give a hand signal or not when the situation is obvious is entirely up to you. What is more important in my judgment is how you give all your signals. I hope you will eschew the
'selling' and 'banging' histrionics which has become so popular among umpires today. Your decisions can (should) always be conveyed by a casual gesture. It is not for an umpire to add emotion to the play. Consider , if you will, what is being expressed when a PU does his merry dance on a called third strike. 'Punching out', so to speak. The act is an emotional outburst in praise of the pitcher' achievment. Why then should not the same __or a similar_dance occur on a called Ball Four which would acclaim the batter's great eye? Obtain a film of Chris Pelekoudas doing a National League game in the '60s. His casual and slow signals constituted an art form that is sadly missed today. McClelland and Froemming are as close to him as you can find among the current staff.
I don't do "a merry dance" to convey how good the players have just done. I do it so the coaches don't question every freakin close play I call. Although a casual out mechanic conveys the same meaning as a good, stiff, [U]controlled[U] bang out, the latter is used to convey confidence that we are 110% correct in our judgement. I can't believe we're talking about this!

Tuss, please, sell your close calls (either on the bases or behind the dish). I'm sure you already do, but don't let Old Timer get you thinking otherwise.

And Old Timer, please... I won't even go there....