View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 25, 2006, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Felix and everyone else for your replies. It makes me feel better that everything I did during the match is what you recommended, other than going over to talk to the R during a time out. Since we didn't have a single time out during the first game, I would have had to wait until its conclusion but I'll know next time that's how it should be handled.

The tough part of the match was knowing that I was not looking sharp either with the delays for the whistles and the signals (including one painfully long pause after a ball near his sideline went uncalled for what seemed an eternity as he and the linesman looked at each other with deer in the headlights looks for at least five seconds with the whistle never being blown).

A kinda funny story about the conclusion of the first game of the match. I was at the scorers table verifying the score sheet and instructing the timekeeper to put 3:00 on the clock. After I had done that I turned around and noticed that both teams were still at their endlines looking up at my partner who was looking over at me. I gave him the change of courts signal and I guess the lightbulb went on in his head and he gave the signal to the teams. He then came over to the scorers table telling me "Okay, your turn next." Puzzled, I asked him "My turn for what?" He replied that it was my turn to go up on the stand. When I told him that we weren't supposed to switch positions during the match, he said that he had always done that.

By the way, I'm not insinuating that he was incompetent, just inexperienced. And here in rural Indiana, while I have an assigner for softball, during volleyball season I schedule matches on my own. I probably will work with this guy again since as we were leaving he mentioned that he had a couple of more freshman matches scheduled at that same school and I'm pretty sure his next one is a match that I have scheduled also! I'll be sure to volunteer to go up next time!