View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 11:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
It is not an equal comparison. When you deal with NCAA and NF games, you will be supported by those leagues when you do things professionally. You can talk to these players all day in a professional manner and they can threaten you personally after the game. I guess that could happen in a HS or college game, but that would go along with a report and the league taken harsh action. I have known guys working these leagues to threaten officials and pay a small fine and was later allowed to play without real consequence. What an official will do is have to avoid picking up bad habits. The problem with Men's leagues is the play, behavior, consequences do not translate.

Peace
Not always true. I've worked rec leagues with strong game/on-site admin who enforced league by-laws. I worked one league where ejected players had 2 minutes to vacate the premises or team forfeited and and the Sheriff's office would receive a call (they had a team in the league and their department was 2 blocks away). I've never had anyone threaten me after a game. On the contrary, I've had players or their teammates apologize for poor behavior on quite a few ocassions.

I've learned a lot of my game management skills from rec league. I've also made mistakes in rec leagues that I couldn't afford to make in HS and JuCo. I learn from those mistakes.

My most prominent mentor (Sweet 16; multiple conference and NIT championship games) cut his teeth on rec leagues and is a big proponent of working as many games as you can as your work your way up the ladder.

My biggest beef with Rec Leagues isn't the players, it's the horrible play I sometimes have to witness

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Aug 22, 2006 at 11:22pm.