View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to AZ_REF
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Unless someone needs or wants the money, there is not much incentive to work those games. It is not like guys are going to get a shot at the next level because of working these games. For most officials that have worked those games, the money is usually not worth all the BS they have to put up with. I worked my last Men's league about 10 years ago. The experience sucked and I moved on.

Peace
JR I disagree. Granted working these leagues won't get you hired but you can become a better official. I began working men's leagues when I was about 16. While this wasn't the best decision I've ever made (I'll let you know as soon as I make a good one) it did have some positive aspects.

You can learn. A LOT. Last time I heard Ed Rush talk he advocated working Men's Leagues (he calls them postal leagues on account of the players attitudes) because of all the crap that goes on. He didn't say to work them a lot or for everyone to work them. Just that it can help some people develop as officials. You see stuff that you may never otherwise see and it forces you to think about the rules. And if your meek or mild mannered, it's sink or swim out there. Those leagues suck enough when you're swimming, I would hate to be sinking. It forces you to deal with irate players who have no control. It does get old after a while but under the right conditions a few games here and there can help.

That said I would only work a men's league that had the same rule we have here for high schools. You get thrown out once, you sit the next game. Twice, you sit three games and the third time your done. We recently instituted a rule in pop warner football where if a coach gets ejected here they have to sit a whole calander year. We went from having around 5 ejections a week to having virtually none.