View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 04:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo
I have always been told the only difference between a good referee and a great referee were game management skills. Adult league games are a great place to learn and practice game management.

So back to the orginal post - Try to sell the league as a game management skills improvement opportunity.
I will tell you why I think that is not true. The consequences are not the same. Men's leagues will not suspend a player for similar actions at the NCAA or NF levels (even lower levels). It is not an equal comparison. When you deal with NCAA and NF games, you will be supported by those leagues when you do things professionally. You can talk to these players all day in a professional manner and they can threaten you personally after the game. I guess that could happen in a HS or college game, but that would go along with a report and the league taken harsh action. I have known guys working these leagues to threaten officials and pay a small fine and was later allowed to play without real consequence. What an official will do is have to avoid picking up bad habits. The problem with Men's leagues is the play, behavior, consequences do not translate.

Peace