View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 22, 2006, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

I really have no idea what goes on in dugouts unless I have a reason. I have only ejected one player for behavior in the dugout:

In 2002, I was the UIC for the NC Dixie Pre-Majors (15-16) State Tournament. Somewhere along the 4th or 5th inning, the visiting team tries a hit and run. Batter never swings at the pitch (must have missed a sign), somehow the runner steals the base anyway. Anyway, it was strike three and the guy headed to the bench. It was a long way from the dugout so as soon as he left my peripheral vision I didn't pay much attention. Next thing I know I hear F-bombs left and right loud enough where I can hear and I assume the crowd as well. U1 and met halfway down the 1B line and my question to him was "Who have you got that's going?" I had the pitcher pegged and he did too. It laters turns out he was berating his teammate for missing the sign but how the heck were we supposed to know that. We ejected their starting pitcher and moved on.

U3, who stayed out of the conference, later told us he thought we were getting the retired batter. Apparently, again out of my sight, he launched his bat over the dugout as the cussing started. If we'd have gotten him too, the game and the tourney would have been over. It was a best 2 out of 3 and they only had 10 players on the roster. Ejected players were out of the game they got tossed plus a one game penalty.

In contrast, I know several years at Kannapolis (A-SAL), several of the Intimidators players were pushing and shoving in the dugout. The umpires got a good laugh and merely watched the goings on.