View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 21, 2006, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE
We had a a 7th/8th grade coach here that did basically the same thing - (in NYS, that level has NO run rule...)he would tell the BU to ring up his kids for leaving early if they tried to steal..or even if they stepped off 1st! - you should have seen the look on a kids face the first time that happened! That program schools it kids AND parents very good in sportsmanship, so the parents are not usually a problem when that happens either. I was BU in one of those games once, and by sheer reflex I actually called his BR safe on a banger at 1B.....very strange to get a negative response from the offensive coach when you call one of his kids SAFE...
This is an approach with which I do not agree. Not everyone understands this and it can bring an umpires integrity into play. I tell the coach I will call what I see. If it is that obvious, it is just as much a slap in the face to the team getting thumped as the thumping itself.

I suggest to the coach that they have a conversation with the opposing coach and come to a conclusion without the umpire's being placed in the middle.